Monday, March 1, 2010

Champ by Marcia Thornton Jones


Book review by David


I read the book Champ by Marcia Thornton Jones. The main characters are a dog named Champ, Riley, his mom and dad, their nosey neighbor, Mr. Douglas, Riley’s best friend, Kaylee and, Mrs. Lerner, the nasty rich lady. It takes place in a small neighborhood in a town called Davenport. These are the main events in the story. First, Champ gets involved in an accident and loses a leg. Next, Riley takes Champ from the pet hospital because Mrs. Lerner didn’t care for him. Then, he and Mr. Douglas build an obstacle course for Champ so he could compete in the Founder’s Day contest. Finally, Riley quits a sport for the wellbeing of Champ. They enter the contest even though they didn’t win Riley said they were the biggest winners there.

I liked the book because it was sometimes funny and it taught me an important lesson. Every choice you make you have to stick with it to the end. My favorite part was when Champ ran the obstacle course at the Founder’s Day festival. Riley reminds me of Sam in The Trumpeter Swan because they both helped animal with disabilities. I was surprised when Riley smashed his school project because he was mad at his dad. I would recommend this book to any one who likes a fun quick read filled with conflicts, sadness and frustration.

No comments:

Post a Comment