Thursday, January 24, 2008

Gold Discovered in 1848!



James Marshall discovered gold on January 24, 1848, at Sutter’s Mill, beginning the California Gold Rush. The New Jersey carpenter was working at John Sutter’s Sacramento River settlement when he found the nugget. The discovery lured more than 90,000 people to California in the two years following his find and more than 300,000 people by 1854. James Marshall died penniless in 1885.


Check out this site to learn more about the gold rush.


(Source: http://readwritethink.org/calendar/calendar_day.asp?id=403)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would love to be James Marshall except when he died I would hate to be him. I would manage my money properly if I had that much money to spend. I would have looked for more after that also because if I found some in that area there might be more to find.

Evan

Post a Comment